Za’atar chicken thighs with a Mediterranean spice blend called zaatar that's composed of sesame seeds, thyme, ginger and turmeric. Look for it in the spice section of your supermarket or in a Middle Eastern market.
- 1/4 cup za'atar seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 leaf thym optional
- 1/2 lemon optional
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums
- 1 easpoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 200 g rice, optional
- In a large bowl, pour olive oil, dried oregano, salt, ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground ginger and also the thyms leaf aftermix them. Add chicken; mix to coat. and make sure the chicken has absorbed all of these ingredients
- Arrange olives, apricots and plums on the bottom of a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup water; top with chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with rice.
- If you have a few minutes to spare, try browning the chicken in a little oil before placing it in the slow cooker.
- Make your own za'atar spice by mixing 1 Tbsp. each fresh chopped oregano, ground sumac, ground cumin and sesame seeds; and 1 tsp. each kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Za’atar seasoning may become your new favorite spice. Add it to melted butter and toss with popcorn, mix it with olive oil for a dipping sauce or toss it with potatoes before roasting.