Yum Yum Sauce Also known as White Sauce or Sakura Sauce this dipping sauce is commonly found in Japanese steak houses. It takes about five minutes to prepare and its main ingredient is Japanese mayonnaise but if that is not available you can make it with mayo from your local grocery store. I have had good success with both Hellmann’s and Dukes mayonnaise. It is so yummy that we enjoy dunking our French fries in it, using it in our grilled hamburgers, and even as a salad dressing.Yum Yum Sauce is so easy to make and just as good as your favorite Japanese hibachi restaurant! You’ll love this tangy, savory, sweet sauce on any meat!
How do you make this sauce?
As I said before this is a five minute recipe. Simply grab a bowl and whisk together the mayo, ketchup, rice vinegar, mirin, garlic powder, paprika and water. It takes a few minutes to whisk it all together and get it smooth. Just keep going because it will pull together. Now here is the important part cover and let it sit for a day or two. You can eat it right after you mix it however if you want the flavor to really pop than hold back.
No, although this sauce is a famous Japanese Steakhouse sauce, it didn’t originate in Japan and neither will you find it in restaurants in Japan.
It is an American invention and is now an integral part of Japanese Hibachi Grill and restaurants all across North America and Canada.
If you don’t have tomato paste available, you can use ketchup instead. It might not fetch you the best result but it is close enough.
When you are using ketchup, remember not to use sugar, as ketchup already has sugar.
You can use vegan mayo instead of regular mayo and coconut oil instead of butter to make a vegan version of this sauce.
- This sauce is very versatile and can be served with almost everything.
- You can serve it with steamed shrimps, fried rice, vegetables, potato wedges, fish fingers, baked potatoes, stir-fries, and chicken.
- You can serve it with your steaks, wraps, and sandwiches. Serve it with your starters and with mains.
- It pairs well with any grilled stuff. Be it chicken, beef, pork shrimp, or veggies, just serve this sauce along.
- You can also serve it on the side with sushi and rice balls or use a dip for dim-sums, wontons, and potstickers.
- It can be slathered on hamburgers and hot dogs too.
- Serve it as a dip with deep-fried snacks or appetizers.
- You can thin it a bit with warm water and use it as a salad dressing.
It is so easy to make this sauce that you actually don’t need to store it. You can make it fresh anytime you want.
If you still need to make it ahead of time, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
It doesn’t freeze well due to mayo as its main ingredient. It will split while defrosting.
Authentic Yum Yum Sauce Recipe !!
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- ½ Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Rice Vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1-4 Tablespoons Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon Mirin optional – This is the secret ingredient that Hibachi restaurants add to their sauce to give it a very authentic Japanese flavor. You can replace it with rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or Sake
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth, using only 1 Tablespoon of water to start, and adding more as needed for desired consistency.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving for best flavor.
- Store leftover sauce in a tightly sealed container or jar for up to 5 days.