Chicken Marsala with a creamy sauce! This classic Italian-American chicken recipe featuring perfectly seasoned, tender chicken chops and flavor-enhancing golden mushrooms, and all topped with a richly seasoned marsala wine, garlic and herb sauce This chicken marsala recipe is just as good as in an Italian restaurant, which makes it perfect for you to cook, and of course it’s a great dish to serve to guests. And my version combines quickly as it cuts down on wine. of marsala separately while the chicken and mushrooms cook. I absolutely want to save time. The other great thing about this recipe is the addition of heavy cream. It really improves the overall consistency, richness and flavor of the sauce. Helps to balance the acidity of the wine.This is a classic dish that does not disappoint!
What to serve with chicken marsala?
- grilled vegetables
- baked potatoes or mashed potatoes
- steamed asparagus
- cheesecake for dessert
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (8-oz) package pre-sliced bella or button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, from 1 medium shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- 120g fresh mushrooms, spelled and diced
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for serving (optional)
- 1 pinch Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Reduce wine and marsala broth: Add marsala wine and chicken broth to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare chicken chops: Meanwhile, in season, both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour mixture.
- Cook the chicken in a pan: Melt 1 tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp of olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown until cooked through (165 in the middle), turning them once in half, about 10-12 minutes.
- Reserve the chicken, keep warm: Transfer the chicken to a plate. Tent with aluminum foil.
- Sauté the mushrooms: Reduce the temperature of the burner to medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic during the last minute of sautéing.
- Add liquids and reduced seasonings, thicken the sauce: Remove the pan from the heat then add the reduction of marsala, thyme and oregano. Reheat, simmer, then add the cornstarch chicken broth mixture. Stir until thickened.
- Add the cream, season the sauce: Off the heat add the heavy cream, season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sauce to the chicken, garnish: Return the chicken breasts to the pan, place the sauce on top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.