The name of this classic Italian pizza translates to greengrocer’s pizza. It consists of a basic pizza dough which is smeared with tomato sauce, topped with mozzarella and grilled slices of eggplant and zucchini, then baked. Lastly, pizza ortolana is typically drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh basil.
- 1 batch of pizza dough
- 400 ml - 13.5 oz. tomato puree
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 350 g fresh mozzarella shredded
- 2 red bell peppers roasted, skinned and sliced
- 8 slices eggplant roasted or (baked with some thym and olive oil in oven 5 min)
- 4 slices zucchini roasted or (baked with some thym and olive oil in oven 5 min)
- 7 artichoke hearts marinated in oil, quartered
- olive oil
- some black olive skinned and sliced
- Make the pizza dough as per this recipe and keep it to rise.
- While the dough rests, prepare the toppings: slice and shred the mozzarella.
- Prepare the tomato base by mixing the tomato purée with the extra virgin olive oil, oregano and salt to taste.
- When the pizza dough is ready, divide it in 4 smaller balls and roll them with a rolling pin into 4 circles approximately 0.5 cm – ¼ inch thick.
- Now spread the tomato base on the pizza and bake in a preheated fan forced oven at 180°C – 355°F for 15 minutes.
- When ready, take the pizze out of the oven and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves, cut and enjoy warm!