Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes are every child’s favorite comfort food and are a true classic! Reminisce your childhood right in your kitchen with this easy recipe!
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes are hearty and delicious! This dish is rather simple, but it is meaty and saucy which makes it a delight to eat! Paired with various side dishes, you get yourself a complete and satisfying meal!
I bought more ground beef than usual as I am intending to recreate this childhood favorite of mine just because! I used to always look forward to lunchtime when this is served. Even now as an adult, I still enjoy it.
You might be thinking that you can always buy the canned version, but you will miss out on a lot of benefits! You get to season it yourself, make it anytime, and decide how much you will prepare.
The canned ones have overwhelmingly high levels of sodium. If you make it yourself, then, you have the liberty to adjust the ingredients to limit the salt. You can even make it sweeter if you like by adding a bit more of the sugar.
With having this prepared at home, you get to make it whenever you want. Using the crockpot will not be bothersome at all. All you need is to set it up and wait for it to finish after several hours. While waiting, you can even do other things around the house.
Having a party or a game night soon? This is perfect! You may even use the crockpot to keep it warm during the party. For sure, your guests will love them because who doesn’t?!
What are sloppy joes?
They are a kind of sandwich, but unlike the usual hamburgers, the “patty” in this dish is loose and saucy. It is primarily made with ground beef in tomato sauce, seasoned with different spices and flavorings.
Where did sloppy joes come from?
Some resources say that a certain Joe in Havana, Cuba, who owns a restaurant, came up with the recipe. Visiting friends noted how sloppy the place was, with all the dirt and water covering the space. From then on, the place was called Sloppy Joe’s.
How to make slow cooker sloppy joes?
- Brown the beef: Heat some oil in a pan. Season and brown the ground beef in there for about 8 minutes until it is no longer pink.
- Transfer: When already brown, transfer the meat into the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on HIGH or LOW, whichever you prefer. It will take at least 3 hours, 6 hours at most.
- Assemble: Put the resulting mixture in between toasted buns and add cheese before serving.
Recipe tips :
If you want a twist in the flavor, add bacon cheeseburger and pizza flavors.
Instead of putting in between buns, you can opt to use the meaty sauce as a pizza topping!
To lessen the fat, you may use a non-stick pan and leave out the oil when browning the meat.
You may use ground turkey or mix in ground pork.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices yellow cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the ground beef in the pan and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 6-8 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Transfer to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Spoon the meat onto the hamburger buns, top with cheese, then serve.