Luqaimat is a sweet and crunchy dumpling dessert and has a bit of similarity to donuts are mainly served with date syrup or custard nde too decorated with a small layer of sesam the most favorite sweets you can often find in different countries where the golf houses at tea time, during the holy month of Ramadan or to receive guests.
What Luqaimat Meaning ?
The word luqaimat can be translated as “bite-size” in Arabic. People make these sweet dumplings from flour, yeast, cardamom, and saffron. They whip up these ingredients into a soft and smooth batter and deep fry until golden. Luqaimat balls have a crunchy texture on the outside and are soft and airy on the inside. Since the dumplings have no sugar, people drizzle them with syrup or dip in a sugary, honey or date syrup to make them sweet. They usually serve luqaimat with tea or Arabic coffee.
Sweet Luqaimat Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon custard powder “vanilla.”
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads crushed
- ¾ cup of warm water you might need less.
- 2 cup oil or enough for deep frying
- Keep around three tablespoon oil in a small separate bowl to help in forming the balls.
- Date syrup or your favorite syrup to pour over the luqaimat. or you will find in attached recipe the Date syrup ingredients ad instructions to made
Date Syrup Recipe :
- 1 pound dried dates, pitted
- 4 cups of water
Instructions to Make luqaimat
- In a small bowl, mix the warm water with cardamom powder, sugar, dry yeast, and saffron. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, custard powder, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients gradually and while whisking to the flour. Whisk for two minutes until there are no lumps.
- The batter should be thinner than pancake batter and in pouring consistency.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter rise for 1 and a half hours to two hours.
- In a deep-frying pan add enough oil to cover the dumplings or luqaimat.
- To test how hot the oil is, take a teaspoon from the batter, and carefully drop it in the oil, if it floats quickly, the oil is too hot.
- Dip a spoon in separate oil, then take a heaped teaspoon from the batter, push the batter off it using another spoon. Careful while dropping the batter in oil.
- Move the dumplings around using a wooden spoon or spatula; this will make them cook evenly.
- When the dumplings are light brown, remove from oil, and place them on kitchen paper.
- Pour your favorite syrup on top (I’ve used date syrup). The syrup should be at room temperature.
- it is preferably to serve these dumplings the same day you make them.
How to Prepare Date Syrup :
- Grease the blades of kitchen shears with oil and finely chop the dates.
- Put the dates and water in a medium pan and bring then to a simmer over medium heat. Let them simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After this time, remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 30 minutes. Then, pour the mixture in the food processor and blend until very smooth (at least 1 minute).
- Then, strain the mixture using a fine-mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. When all the pulp is in the filter, pull the cloth sides together and twist to press out as much date syrup as possible.
- Taste your syrup and see if it is sweet enough for you. To thicken, transfer it to a medium pan and simmer over medium heat for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool before storing. You can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
Be careful if you have diabetes !Usually, it served with Arabic coffee (Qahwah-or Gahwah), and if you are in invited over lunch and dinner by an Arab family, it will be served with another Arabic dessert. These sweet dumplings are addictive, and one will never be enough, so careful and keep track of how many you are consuming.
to serve with tea, cappuccino, vanilla Latte Machiato coffee
don’t forget to share your valuable feedback by commenting below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. I will try to answer my level best.