The « brisket » is a piece of meat that is part of the beef breast and consists of two muscles, namely the lean « flat » muscle and the fatty « pointed » muscle. This piece of meat is a « classic » of American cuisine which is becoming more and more known in Europe – thanks in particular to barbecue competitions. Cooking the brisket doesn’t take a lot of work; you just need to be patient. It is quite difficult to estimate the cooking time required, since it depends on the thickness and percentage of fat in the meat. Take it in any case in time, because the brisket can easily rest for several hours.
Texane Beef Brisket
- 1 brisket (beef), about 5 kg
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp powdered fennel seeds
- 1½ tsp. to s. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. to s. cumin powder
- 1½ tsp. to dried thyme
- 1½ tsp. to s. dried oregano
- 1½ tsp. to s. brown rod
- 1½ tsp. to s. black pepper
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Remove the big nerves from the brisket and remove the excess fat. Mix the spices to rub.
- Rub the brisket with the spices and let it soak in their flavors for at least an hour at room temperature.
- Prepare the grill for indirect heat cooking and preheat to low temperature. With a gas barbecue, place all the wood chips in the chip tray and preheat to high temperature.
- When smoke appears, reduce to low temperature. With a charcoal grill, add 12 new coals and ½ cup of wood chips on each side every hour.
- Place the breast, fat side up, in an aluminum dripping pan which is then placed in the center of the hot grill, away from heat. Close the barbecue cover. Grill for about 6 hours, until the breast is tender. The cooking time varies according to the size of the breast and the cooking temperature. Brush the meat with the vinegar and beer sauce every hour during the first 4 hours of cooking.
- Check the temperature with a meat thermometer. The breast is ready when the temperature reaches 88 ° C (190 ° F). Let the breast rest for 10 min on a cutting board.
- Cut into thin slices against the grain with an electric knife or a sharp knife. Drizzle with the juice that has accumulated in the pan and serve.