In its traditional form it is served in a long dish called a boat. A banana is cut in half lengthwise (hence the name) and laid in the dish. There are many variations, but the classic banana split is made with three scoops of ice cream (one each of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry) served between the split banana.
- 1 medium banana, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1 scoop each vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh strawberries or 1 tablespoon strawberry ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons pineapple chunks or 1 tablespoon pineapple ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 maraschino cherries with stems
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE IT :
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place banana slices against sides of long, narrow, shallow dish.
- Place scoops of ice cream in a row between banana slices.
- Squirt chocolate syrup on vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
- Spoon marshmallow creme over chocolate ice cream.
- Top each mound with whipped cream. Sprinkle with nuts and top each with a cherry.
Serve and enjoy! 🙂