The baked beans are made up of white beans, cooked in a flavored tomato sauce. Traditionally, they are cooked in the oven but they are often simmered in a pan, despite the name. It’s a typical English breakfast dish.
- 16 oz dried navy beans any small white bean will work
- 1 med onion diced
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked, drained, and cut into small pieces or crumbled – OPTIONAL
- Rinse and pick through beans thoroughly. (You want to pick out any bad beans that are cracked, darker then the rest, has holes or is shriveled. Also keep an eye out for small rocks – I rarely see these but I know it can happen.)
- Combine beans, onion, dark brown sugar, molasses, apple cider vinegar, mustard, water, and black pepper in a 6 quart slow cooker. (Bacon gets added here if you are using.)
- Stir just until ingredients are combined. Cover and cook on low until the beans are tender, about 12 hours.
- Stir in salt to taste and additional pepper if desired. Start with half a teaspoon and go from there.
- Turn slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.