This soup is one of our favorite soups to enjoy once the weather gets colder or really all year round! I have been known to solve this problem on fall days and rainy summer afternoons.
Anytime is a good time to enjoy this Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. It’s so easy and so delicious!
Each bite is loaded with tons of flavor and it’s so delicious. We really like this easy soup.
You can really stretch your meat budget with a recipe like this. Stretch that meat into a delicious soup that can easily feed a crowd or your hungry family.The chicken is shredded along with all the other tasty ingredients for a delicious meal and which I highly recommend.
In fact, you can even add extra corn or chicken broth to stretch that meal even more.
It’s so easy to do and very user friendly. This soup really stretches your chicken because you don’t need it and it’s full of flavor.
You can also use chicken thighs in this soup instead of the chicken breasts. I often just use what’s on sale.
How To Make Tortilla Soup !
It’s easy! Chicken tortilla soup takes just 30 minutes to cook. Prep your veggies first to save extra time. Make the tortilla strips while the soup is simmering (or you can purchase Tortilla Strips online or at the grocery).You can also make the tortilla strips a few days in advance. They only need to pan fry for a minute or so on each side. Once they’re crisp, salt them and save them for later.
What To Serve With Tortilla Soup !
Here’s where it gets fun! Tortilla soup is so versatile that nearly anything can be served with it!
A bright tangy cabbage slaw or a Fresh Corn Salad will complement the rich flavors of tortilla soup as well as a side of cheesy quesadillas. For soup toppings, try some sliced black olives, green chiles, shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese, or cubes of avocados. This is definitely a recipe that will find it’s way to your table year round!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup !!This soup is simmered to perfection with beans, corn, tomatoes, and chicken. Top it with cilantro, lime, and tortilla chips for the perfect comfort food!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 midium onion chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño diced and seeded or 1 tablepoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilis
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 14 ½ ounces can black beans rinsed & drained
- 1 cup corn drained if canned
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 avocado sliced, for garnish
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed, halved crosswise optional
Crispy Tortilla Strips :
- 6 6" corn tortillas cut into ¼" strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt for taste
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium-high heat a small pan. Add tortilla strips in small batches and fry until crisp. Drain and salt.
- Heat olive oil In a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook until onion is softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add back to the pot and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Spoon soup into bowls and and top with tortilla strips, lime wedges and sliced avocado.
NotesInstant Pot Instructions :
- Set the IP on Sauté. Add the oil, onions, 1/3 cup cilantro, and garlic. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, whole raw chicken breasts, all spices, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Push the chicken breasts to the bottom of the pot. Lock the lid into place and set on Pressure Cook High for 5 minutes.
- Perform a Quick Release. Once the steam valve button drops it’s safe to open the lid.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts with tongs and either shred or chop them. Add the chicken pieces back to the soup. Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
- Garnish as directed above with avocado and part of lime