Here’s an original way to accompany steaks! The peppers are typical vegetables of the Mediterranean diet, low energy (21 kcal / 100g), they have a lot of vitamin C (120m / 100g), provitamin A (especially the red pepper which holds more than 3mg) and fiber (2g / 100g). The advantage of this recipe is that the vegetables are raw, so there is little loss of vitamins and minerals. However, for difficult intestines, it is possible to pass the peppers lightly to the grill beforehand in order to remove their skin, they will be much more digestible. Finally, the vitamin C contained in vegetables will promote the absorption of iron contained in steaks. As iron deficiencies are extremely frequent and cause significant fatigue, it is a recipe to integrate as quickly as possible in your menus for the whole family!
This easy crockpot pepper steak recipe with tomatoes is a healthy weeknight meal that doesn’t take a lot of effort to make, but tastes absolutely delicious!
overhead view of slow cooker pepper steak in a bowl over rice
My love for slow-cooked meals runs deep. I am the kind of person who likes my meat tender and bursting with flavor….and (in my opinion) low and slow is the best method for achieving these results.
CROCKPOT PEPPER STEAK RECIPESlow Cooker Pepper Steak! This easy crockpot pepper steak with tomatoes is a healthy weeknight meal that doesn't take a lot of effort to make, but tastes absolutely delicious!
- 1 pound steak* cut into strips
- ¼ cup beef broth (or chicken broth)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup onions diced
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 TBS water
- In the container of a slow cooker, combine beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce honey and tomatoes. Stir until combined.
- Add onions and beef and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. (Until meat is tender).
- Once meat is tender, mix together cornstarch and water.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker and stir until combined.
- Add peppers to the beef mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Cook for 1 hour longer, or until peppers are cooked to your preferred texture.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or with a hunk of crusty bread!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Ingredient Substitutions :
- Diced Tomatoes: . You may substitute a can of stewed tomatoes for the diced tomatoes. I recommend fire-roasted diced tomatoes because they add some extra flavor!
- Peppers: Any color/variety of bell peppers works perfectly in this pepper steak recipe!
- Honey: The 1 tsp in this recipe brings out the flavor of the tomatoes. Feel free to use regular granulated sugar or omit completely if necessary.
- Beef Broth: You can make your own beef broth or use bullion and water to achieve the same results! Or use chicken broth (I do this often).