An affogato is an Italian dessert or coffee drink. It is usually made by pouring an espresso over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Amaretto or other liqueurs are sometimes added.
I think it’s perfect after a big meal. In addition, it is quickly prepared and easy to do, what more could you ask for? A return trip to Venice with your lover?
Affogato, the Italian frozen dessert
For 4 people :
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 2 small cups of tight coffee
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 teaspoons crushed hazelnuts for decoration
For vanilla ice cream if you make it homemade :
- 500 ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- Split the vanilla pod in half and collect the beans using the tip of a knife. Scatter them in milk and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks and sugar until the mixture turns white. Then pour the boiling milk in 3 times over the egg / sugar mixture. Stir constantly. Then put the mixture back in the pan and heat over low heat until the consistency coats the spoon. Egg yolk coagulating at 85 ° C, your cream should not exceed this temperature, otherwise it will be missed.
- When serving the affogato : Prepare 2 espresso. Add a small teaspoon of sugar to each.
- Place a scoop of ice cream in each ramekin and pour about 30 ml of coffee. Sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts and taste immediately, the affogato is not waiting. The contrast between hot and cold, the sweetness of vanilla and the hint of bitterness from coffee, the little crunch of hazelnuts… It's great!