A sloppy joe is an American dish made of minced meat seasoned with onions, tomato sauce or ketchup served in a hamburger bun. Some variations exist depending on the ingredients used or the way of serving it, poured over a pita bread for example. It can be accompanied by coleslaw.
Sloppy Joe !!
This Sloppy Joe recipe is simple, quick to prepare (15 minutes) and comforting. I found it perfect for introducing my fast food humberger recipes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 leaves salad
- 4 buns hamburger
- grated cheese optional
- pickle sliced to small cube optional
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter, add the peppers and onions and cook until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Season well, add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and then brown the beef until it is golden brown. (You have to sear the meat without touching it in order to obtain a nice color. Otherwise, by constantly stirring it, the meat releases its water and starts to boil. The taste is therefore less interesting).
- Season the meat well, remove the excess fat if necessary, then add the vegetables, chili powder, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth and brown sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and garnish the buns with a salad leaf and the beef mixture.
For a little extra punch, add hot sauce or chili flakes to the mixture. For a lunch the next day, reinvent the recipe by adding beans. Garnish with a wrap of salad, fresh tomatoes, cheese and beef and beans mixture. A delight!