The truth is we don’t eat a lot of fish or seafood in our house.… And I didn’t eat a lot when I was growing up, so my knowledge of how to cook or how to prepare it is very poor compared to other things. However, this tilapia is one of the few fish dishes that I have adapted from my mother’s version.
This tilapia is super easy and inexpensive. I serve it with saffron rice and usually some kind of green vegetable.Need a fresh, tasty dinner that comes together real fast? Then you’ll love my easy way to cook Tilapia. This simple dinner really hits the spot! And, it’s all done in just 20 minutes.
IS TILAPIA HEALTHY?
While wild-caught fish is generally thought to be the healthiest, many food experts say that properly farmed fish is very healthy, and that includes tilapia! Tilapia is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, and is a good source of protein.
However, some sources of tilapia are better than others, so be sure to check out the source’s reputation, standards, and the kind of feed they use for their fish.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
- To refrigerate, store cooled leftover fillets in an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- To freeze, place leftover fillets in a single layer on a baking sheet or platter. Freeze until frozen solid. Then transfer the frozen fillets into freezer bags and push out as much air as possible before sealing. The fillets will keep in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
- To reheat, first thaw the fish (if frozen). Then place the fillets at room temperature while the oven preheats to 350°F. Arrange the fillets in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until heated through. The fish’s texture may be less moist after storing and reheating.
Tasty Tilpia Meal
- 1 pound of tilapia fillets
- A swirl of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 150 g of mushrooms already cooked in advance
- Cooked rice or pasta, to serve (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- be sure to peel and cut the 150 g of chompignon of your choice already boiled in salted water for almost 20 minutes and keep it aside before completing the other instructions in this recipe
- Season the tilapia with salt and pepper.In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black and green olives and lemon. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes. Add the fish to the pan and cook for 7 to 9 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard the lemon slices.Serve with rice or pasta.