This chicken satay recipe is easy and delicious! These easy chicken satay skewers are marinated in and brushed with the most delicious peanut sauce! A healthy grilled chicken recipe to make for your next BBQ!
These chicken satay skewers are a healthy main dish recipe that our whole family enjoys! Serve over rice or with a salad and you have a simple and nutritious dinner ready in no time!
Tasty Chicken satay skewersThis chicken satay recipe is easy and delicious! These easy chicken satay skewers are marinated in and brushed with the most delicious peanut sauce! A healthy grilled chicken recipe to make for your next BBQ!
Peanut Sauce Marinade :
- 2 TBS Peanut Butter (Creamy or Crunchy)
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce
- 2 TBS Peanut Oil
- 1 TBS Sesame Oil
- 2 TBS Brown Sugar
- 1 TBS Rice Vinegar
- ½ tsp Powdered Ginger
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 4 bell peppers chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 TBS peanut oil
- Garlic salt & pepper to taste
Make the Peanut Sauce :
- In a small bowl combine all the sauce ingredients and mix together until smooth. If using thick, solid peanut butter microwave ingredients for 30 seconds before mixing.
- Pour ¾ of the peanut sauce over the chicken in the bowl and stir until it’s evenly distributed, reserve the rest of the sauce to brush on the chicken while it is grilling.
- Secure the lid and let marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature, or longer in the refrigerator.
Prepare Vegetables :
- Chop peppers into 1” square pieces.
- Place chopped peppers into a microwave safe dish and heat on high in the microwave for 4 minutes, or until they are soft to the touch but not fully cooked.
- Drizzle peanut oil over peppers and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Making the Kabobs :
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Alternate threading the chicken and peppers onto the skewers until you have used all of the ingredients. Be sure to try to keep the chicken as flat as possible so it cooks evenly.
Other Instructions :
- At least one hour before cooking (preferably longer): Soak 12 bamboo skewers in warm water for 1-4 hours.
- Slice chicken breasts into strips about 2” long and ½ “ thick.
- Place chicken pieces into a glass dish that has a lid.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning them halfway through cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness (chicken should reach a temperature of 150 – 160 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately over rice or a salad!
Ingredient Substitutions :
- Bell Peppers. Feel free to omit the peppers if you want to make this recipe solely chicken satay (and not chicken + veggies)! Other veggies can also be substitutes if you're not a fan of peppers! Some suggestions: zucchini, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Peanut oil. Olive oil or avocado oil can be used in place of peanut oil. However, I love the flavor imparted by peanut oil and do not recommend leaving it out.
- Sesame oil. The same goes for sesame oil. However I think it's flavor is even more essential than peanut oil, so I do not recommend making substitutions here.
- Soy Sauce. Coconut aminos can be used in place of soy sauce on the occasion that there is a soy allergy in your family.
- Brown sugar. Coconut sugar or honey can be used in place of brown sugar.
- Powdered spices (ginger, garlic and onion powder). The real thing can be substituted for the powders in every occasion...minced garlic, minced ginger, minced onion, etc.