you fancy inviting your friends over to get back to the old days so try wowing all your friends with this easy vegan turkey seitan recipe! You won’t believe the texture and flavor of this simulated meat! It’s so much like turkey!
I must admit that it took me a while to perfect it, it is for this same reason that I guarantee you this recipe since I have tried as much as possible to guide you to avoid any misplacement to excel the repair of this dish.This vegetarian turkey recipe is made with vital wheat gluten and chickpeas, not tofu. Enjoy this whole vegan turkey bun with all the vegan fixings like: mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, mushroom sauce, stuffing, roasted vegetables and Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, macaroni and cheese, fresh rolls, green salad and cranberry sauce! Yum!!
What is Seitan :
is a food made from wheat protein. It is the equivalent in macrobiotic cuisine of godhumai paal, mianjin or the fu of traditional Indian, Chinese and Japanese cuisines.
What is Vital Wheat Gluten ?
Vital Wheat Gluten is made from wheat. It is made by washing the wheat flour with water until all of the starch has been removed. And then you end up with gluten that needs to be cooked before it’s eaten.
How to make a vegan turkey :
Start by adding all the ingredients (except vital wheat gluten) to your food processor: chickpeas, water, broth, Braggs, seasonings, sesame oil, and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth. Pour the mash into a large mixing bowl, scraping up as much as possible with a spatula. Add vital wheat gluten. Mix by hand until combined. Then kneeling the dough 10-15 times. Form a journal. Using a medium saucepan with a steam insert. Place the turkey roll in the steamer section and fill the base of the pot with the vegetable broth. Cover with the lid and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour. Water after 30 minutes and add more vegetable broth if needed. When finished, remove the turkey bread and let it cool on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Thinly slice and serve. Or let cool completely, refrigerate and slice like cold cuts. Enjoy! For the ingredients and full recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Tasty Homemade Seitan !!
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 100 gr of gluten
- 1 kg of whole wheat flour
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of malted yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 liter of water for flour preparation
- Chop the onion and cook in a saucepan with plenty of water, thyme and bay leaf.
- For whole seitan, place the kilo of flour in a bowl. Slowly pour in water (about 3/4 liter) and knead until the flour does not stick to your hands. Remove the dough from the bowl and continue kneading it for 15 minutes on the counter, so that it is soft and does not break.
- Return it to the bowl, cover it with water, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Once rested, return it to the bowl to release the starch. When the water turns white, throw it away and pour it clean. Wash the dough again 6 or 7 more times, until it starts to thin out.
- For him gluten seitan, place the gluten in a bowl. Make a small hole in the center and pour in the soy sauce and the same amount (50 ml.) Of water. Knead and roll into a ball.
- Put the two meatballs in the pan with the vegetables. Pour a stream of tamari. Cook them for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Store the seitan in a plastic container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Once the whole wheat seitan dough is kneaded and covered with water, it can rest for 30 minutes to 24 hours.