If you are wondering what « Horchata » is, it is a Mexican drink made from rice and cinnamon The term horchata in Spanish refers to several types of drinks made from plant products, mainly tigernuts It is very refreshing, and it’s very easy to do! This drink is perfect anytime, but it’s especially good when the temperatures start to rise!
This Horchata recipe is great for saving when summer is booming, hot like Hades. Plan ahead: better to do it overnight … I know it sounds long, but I promise it is very easy, and worth it!
Tasty Mexican Horchata
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 5 cups of lukewarm water
- 2 cinnamon sticksmedium sized
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or more to taste)
- 1 Large cup of Ice cubes
- Put the rice in a blender. Cover the blender with a lid and mix until the rice is very small. Place the rice in a large bowl and cover with lukewarm water. Add the cinnamon sticks. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and place the rice and water in the blender. Cover and mix until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Line a colander with a few layers of gauze and place it on a large bowl. Pour in the rice water. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla extract and sugar into the rice water until the sugar dissolves. Adjust the sugar to your liking.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Serve over ice. Use Horchata within 3-4 days.