The soft, tender bread is topped with a rich mix of seasoned ground beef, finished with lots of fresh taco toppings. is simply so Tasty and very lovable by children as they can be taken during a picnic
navajo tacos indian fry bread
Step by step Fry Bread Ingredients :
- 1/4 L of warm water
- 3 cups oil, for frying
- 1 pinch salt or fine salt
- 1 spoon baking powder
Step By Step : NAVAJO TACOS
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb . ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- black olive sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 x 1/2 teaspoon black pepper black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies, mild
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 to 5 Diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Shredded lettuce
- Slice avocado (number on slice depend on you )
- Pico de gallo
- 2 teaspoon picante sauce
instructions for FRY BREAD :
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the warm water and mix using a fork until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, then transfer to a clean bowl and cover tightly in plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal sections by pinching off golf-ball sized balls of dough, then pat and roll out the dough balls into roughly 6-inch discs on a lightly floured surface. Keep them covered with plastic wrap while you prepare to fry them.
- Heat 3 cups of oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the oil temperature reaches between 350 and 360 degrees F. Working in batches, fry each disc in the hot oil until the dough is golden brown on one side, then carefully flip with tongs and fry on the other side. Set on a paper towel to drain oil and stick in a warm oven to stay hot while the other fry bread is cooked.
Instructions for make NAVAJO TACOS :
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute 2 minutes, add garlic and saute 20 seconds. Scoot mixture to the side then crumble beef into skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally and breaking up beef when stirring, until beef has browned and cooked through. Drain fat from beef and return to skillet.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika, kidney beans, canned diced tomatoes and green chilis then season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes (if you used the tomato sauce you can add in a few tbsp of water to thin a little if needed).
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon mixture over fry bread, then top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream (and any of the other optional toppings listed). Serve immediately.
- If using leftover chili as the fry bread taco filling, just rewarm it and be sure to use a slotted spoon to drain of excess liquid before you add it to your fry bread.
- *You can also serve the fry bread for dessert — simply top with honey butter (or I bet cinnamon sugar would work too!).