I have done a lot of Googling and searching on Pinterest over the past month, but it seems that savory rhubarb recipes are few and far between. Unless, of course, you want to make pork chops with Rhubarb Chutney, which I don’t. I mean, I don’t mind making it once during the spring, but I get tired of rhubarb chutney pretty quickly.
Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS active dry yeast
1 TBS olive oil
2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
1 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a pizza pan or large jelly roll pan and set aside.
Put warm water into a large mixing bowl.
Add sugar and yeast and stir to combine.
Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy and bubbles form.
Add olive oil and gently stir to combine.
Add 2 cups of flour and salt and mix with a spatula until a ball begins to form (dough will still be slightly sticky). Add more flour as needed to form a dough ball.
Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding up to ½ cup extra flour if needed.
Roll dough into your desired shape and gently transfer to your prepared pan.
To ensure the dough doesn’t form air pockets, use a fork to prick to the dough all around (gently so you do not poke holes all the way through the crust).
Bake on the lower rack of your preheated oven for 5 minutes and remove from your oven. (this is just to very slightly prebake the dough). If you notice air bubbles forming, poke them with a fork to let the air out.
Add pizza sauce and toppings of choice!
Bake on the lower rack of your oven for around 15-20 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.
Let cool, cut and serve
Rhubarb Basil Pizza :
- prepared pizza dough for 1 13-14″ pizza pan
- 1 tsp cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce (I used the Apple Honey BBQ sauce in recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 green onions chopped *or* 1/2 med onion minced
- 3 decent sized stalks of rhubarb
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped, plus a small handful more (not chopped) for garnish
- 125g Goat Cheese (1/2 regular sized package)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on med-low heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add onions, saute for 2 minutes.
- Chop rhubarb into 1/4″ pieces and add to onions. Saute for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Grease your pizza pan with olive oil, and sprinkle the cornmeal evenly over the pan (this prevents the crust from sticking to the pan).
- Stretch the dough out in the pan and spread evenly with BBQ sauce.
- Apply your toppings evenly over the sauce: first the onion/rhubarb mix, then the basil, then the goat cheese, and finally the mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until crust is starting to become golden. Add a minute or two at a time so you don’t over-do it.
- Top with basil leaf garnish, serve hot.
- While other sweet BBQ sauces would work well, I think you’ll have the best taste results if you use the Apple Honey BBQ sauce.
And for prepaaring Apple Honey BBQ Sauce :
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of cinnamon
- Add everything to a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil on the stove, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a clean jar and cool.
- This sauce should be good in your fridge for 2-3 weeks, if you can make it last that long!!