Here is a typical Mediterranean recipe from Nice, a kind of large pancake with chickpea flour. baked and golden, preferably in a wood-fired oven
Socca is eaten hot, if possible on the spot right out of the oven, possibly seasoned with pepper. Its taste characteristics come from a double sensation born of its cooking method: both crisp and crunchy (on its seared surface above) and very soft below. Once cooled, it solidifies and, by its somewhat oily nature, quickly loses its taste qualities. Socca is one of the popular traditional local culinary specialties and typical of the gastronomy of Nice.why it is appreciated by what in the past it was called the « poor man’s dish ».
- 1/4 kilo of chickpea flour
- 1.2 liter of lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of oil or 100 g of melted butter for the baking sheet
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Crushed pepper
- In a container, pour 250 g of flour, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper and gradually incorporate 500 ml of water so as not to make lumps
- Add enough water so that the dough is fluid
- Pour this paste on a well-oiled baking sheet. The thickness should not exceed 3mm.
- Preheat your oven for 15 minutes at 275 ° C = 527 as much as you can!
- Place the dish in the top of the oven, allow 2 minutes before changing position to "Grill mode".
- Let it brown for about 7 minutes of cooking.
- Take the dish out of the oven and serve immediately, cutting portions and sprinkling them with pepper.
- Warning !!! You have to watch the coloring: the socca must be golden brown. It may have blisters forming during cooking, you have to pop them!)
NotesAccompaniment: plain, olives, ham, cheese, candied tomatoes ...
and it is to be served with a good cup of tea