in Every religious feasts, our family gathers together for breakfast. It’s a tradition in our home to have everyone gather around the table and celebrate great company with a large and joyous breakfast. One of the star dishes that we all look forward to, are traditional Aebleskivers that are made fresh that morning. These Traditional Danish Pancake Balls are soft and fluffy and melt in your mouth with whatever topping you prefer (jam,honey,…). We have decided to share our family’s favorite tradition and we have made our own Aebleskiver
so you too can enjoy these with your family!
Aebleskiver (or Ebelskiver) are puffy Danish pancake balls and a traditional Danish dessert most often served during the Christmas season. Enjoy them year-round as a delicious breakfast treat!
THE OLD AND ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR AEBLESKIVER
This recipe for Aebleskiver is the one my parents used to make homemade Aebleskiver when I was a child, and it’s the one I use today. The first Aebleskiver were originally cooked with small pieces of apples or sometimes applesauce as filling, from there they got their name. However, in the modern Danish kitchen these filling are not included anymore and haven’t been for the past many year. For us this is the most original recipe for Aebleskiver, it’s super delicious and relatively easy to make.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR MAKING AEBLESKIVER (OR EBELSKIVER)
You can purchase an aebleskiver pan at local kitchen stores or sometimes places that carry cast-iron pans like outdoor or sporting goods stores, but the easiest way is probably to just order one online :
you must just write Ntuffed Pancake Pan, Aebleskiver pan/ Ebelskiver pan/cast iron Aebleskiver /nordic iron Aebleskiver/ munk Aebleskiver
Aebleskiver Famous Danish Pancakes Recipe!!
The Aebleskive Batter :
- Separate the egg whites and yolks in separate bowls.
- Whisk the sugar and egg whites fluffy and stiff. The bowl must be completely clean and dry. A tiny bit of water will make the eggs whites impossible to whisk stiff. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks, all-purpose flour, natron (baking soda), salt and vanilla sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients while gradually adding the buttermilk. Keep mixing until the batter is uniform.
- Melt the butter and let it cool off a bit. Slowly add the cooled butter to the buttermilk mixture while whisking.
- Use a wooden spoon or similar to slowly mix the stiff eggs whites in the batter.
The Cooking of Aebleskiver :
- You need a special Aebleskive pan for frying. You can get one online or maybe at your local kitchen store.
- Heat up the Aebleskive pan at medium heat and add a small piece of butter in each hole. Fill the holes 3/4 with the Aebleskive batter.
- When the batter starts to get firm and you can turn them over without cracking, then turn the Aebleskiver 90 degrees (using a wooden stick or similar) and let the batter flow into the pan.
- At this point there is a hole in the side of the Aebleskive. Pour a little extra batter into the hole and turn the Aebleskive another 90 degrees so that the hole gets closed.
- When the Aebleskiver have a solid surface turn them regularly so they get an even and light-brown crust.
- In step 4 (in cooking of Æbleskiver), try adding different fillings inside the Aebleskiver. I can recommend filling with chocolate chips, strawberry jam or small apple pieces. Serve these Danish aebleskiver together with some jam and icing sugar.
- You will also need a pastry brush to brush melted butter into the cups of your aebleskiver pan before adding the batter. It will help prevent the batter from sticking, as well as add flavor and texture to these danish pancake balls.
- The last tool that will come in handy is a knitting needle, chopstick, wooden skewer, or other poky implement that you can use to turn the aebleskiver as they cook. I like using a wooden skewer or chopstick, mostly because I don’t knit so I don’t own a knitting needle! But if you want to be really authentic, that’s what you should use.
- You can fill the aebleskiver with small pieces of cheese, cooked vegetables or cooked meat for a tasty and unique appetizer. Use basil, garlic, onion powder or your favorite savory spice.