There are few things in life that make a classic comfort food like a bowl of tomato soup. It is comforting, delicious, and one of those dishes that just makes everything feel better. For years, I’ve been making this fresh, homemade tomato soup and I can safely say, it is still our absolute favorite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (32-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- garnish: basil leaves and heavy cream optional
Add the olive oil to the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot set over medium-high heat.
Then add chopped tomatoes and garlic, if using. Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
Use an immersion blender and puree soup.
Serve with an optional garnish of basil leaves and a splash of half-and-half.