Creamy Potato Soup. This simple potato soup is ultra creamy and comforting! With only a few ingredients that tastes fantastic! It is very filling, I was surprised to learn how low in calories it is!
Find comfort in a bowl with a smooth and creamy recipe for the best Loaded Baked Potato Soup topped with all the classic fixins’.
This loaded potato soup is rustic in the sense that I use red potatoes that I don’t bother to peel. Simmer, puree and add a few more ingredients to make a delicious creamy soup? This is a soup you’ll want to make often.
Which potatoes are best for potato soup?
All potatoes can be used for potato soup. Russet potatoes should be peeled first, but white or red potatoes can be cooked with the skin on for a more rustic potato soup.
How does potato soup thicken?
Most potato soups don’t need to be thickened if they have the right ratio of chicken broth to potatoes. However, if you find that your soup is too thin, you can thicken it by mixing a tablespoon of cornstarch with a little cold water and stirring in the hot soup.
Creamy Potato Soup !!Nothing screams, “I feel comforted!” quite like a big bowl of Loaded Baked Potato Soup, toped with tasty crispy bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese and all.
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 small Russett potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 50 g of white cheese
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- In oven or large soup pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until all the fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and drain off all but ¼ cup of the drippings.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and then add the celery and onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and then add the cubed potatoes, stirring to combine. Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chicken stock. (The chicken stock should just cover the potatoes, so depending on your pot, you may have to add more stock.) Bring the soup to a simmer then cover the pot and cook the soup for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour to make a roux. Stir the roux constantly for 1 to 2 minutes until it's pale golden then whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook it, stirring constantly, until it's thickened slightly. (It should be the consistency of gravy.) Whisk the milk mixture into the potato mixture and cook the soup for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Transfer ⅓ of the soup to a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée the soup that's remaining in the pot until it's smooth. (See Kelly's Notes.) Return the reserved ⅓ of the soup to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season the soup with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, top each bowl of soup with the cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions.
Technically, potato soup can be frozen, but the texture will change enough that it is not recommended. It gets a little sticky and any piece of potato becomes mushy and unappetizing. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge and leftovers will be even better the next day. TIPS :
- Can you freeze the potato soup?
- If you don't have a hand blender, you can purée the soup in batches in a blender. Leave ⅓ of the soup in the pot and purée the rest in the blender then continue with the recipe as directed.
- I prefer seasoning my soups at the end to avoid over-salting them. That being said, potatoes need a hearty amount of salt, so don't be afraid to start with a teaspoon of salt and at least a few turns of fresh black pepper and work your way up based on your personal preferences.