A delicious simple English recipe in which you can put what you want, what you like. Enjoy it with big fries and a nice little beer and you will have the impression of being in a pub on the other side of the Channel. Easy, quick and delicious.
this Recipe is made from scratch and has a delicious whole wheat biscuit crust. It is a perfect lightened up weeknight dinner recipe that is still cozy and comforting.
Healthy Chicken Pot PieHealthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is made completely from scratch and has a delicious whole wheat biscuit crust. It is a perfect lightened up weeknight dinner recipe that is still cozy and comforting.
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 red potatoes diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ small onion diced (about ½ cup)
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Biscuit Crust :
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 TBS granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 TBS cold butter
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
Make the sauce :
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- Add milk and whisk until combined, set aside.
- In a 4-quart pan over medium heat, boil water.
- Add chicken bouillon and whisk until dissolved.
- Add milk/dry ingredient mixture to boiling water/bouillon.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the filling :
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a deep dish 9” pie plate or cast iron skillet.
- In a saucepan, sauté potatoes, and garlic for 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes just begin to brown. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add peas, corn and shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the filling mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 9” pie plate.
Make the biscuit crust :
- In a large bowl combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt, stir to combine.
- Cut the butter into small pieces than add it to the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or your hands until you have coarse crumbs.
- Add the sour cream, milk and egg and stir to combine. The mixture will be a a bit tacky to the touch. That’s good!
Putting it together :
- Divide the batter into 6 pieces, and form each piece into a flat round circle.
- Gently place biscuits on top of the filling in pie dish.
- Bake the chicken pot pie on the lower rack in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Once the healthy chicken pot pie has finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
NotesNOTE: the whole wheat flour in the biscuits cause the part of the biscuits that touch the filling to turn a darker brownish gray color after they have been stored in the refrigerator. That is totally normal and doesn’t effect the taste in any way!
CAN YOU FREEZE HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE?YES! I recommend baking the entire thing and then putting it in the freezer. To reheat, simply cover the frozen healthy chicken pot pie with foil and warm it in the oven at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes. Freeze the filling. Or you can just make a huge batch of filling and freeze it in a glass baking dish or a disposable aluminum baking dish. Then all you’d need to do is warm the filling until it reaches room temperature (covered in the oven) and then add the biscuits and bake as directed.