I’m excited to add this healthy black bean hummus to our weekly hummus rotation. We always have some sort of homemade hummus in our fridge for healthy snacks and it’s a great addition to the chocolate brownie batter hummus and cilantro and white bean hummus that we normally make.
What to eat with black bean hummus ?
The healthiest option is to look for crispy, raw vegetables. Cucumbers, peppers, carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and tomatoes go well with this hummus. You can also serve it with fresh pita bread, homemade baked tortilla chips, or pretzels. For a quick lunch or dinner option, use it as a sandwich snack or wrap it with your favorite meat and vegetables for lunch. I also love making hummus flatbread pizzas with this hummus and it’s surprisingly delicious mixed with cold pasta and veggies as a garnish. Simply dilute with a little extra olive oil, lemon / lime juice, or water.
Can I make hummus without tahini ?
This recipe is a version without tahini because I didn’t feel like I needed the extra flavor. It also reduces fat and calories. However, if you want the traditional flavor of sesame, add 2-4 tablespoons of tahini to the mixture.
Is Hummus Good For You ?
Hummus is a very healthy and excellent snack or spread option. It’s packed with plant protein and fiber from beans and healthy fats from olive oil. Plus, beans have many health benefits, ranging from digestion to reducing inflammation. However, you want to eat hummus in moderation, especially if you are trying to lose weight because it is a high calorie food. Also be careful with store-bought hummus which may contain additives or less healthy ingredients.
How should I store homemade hummus ?
Homemade hummus will last about a week in the refrigerator in a covered glass or plastic container. Some people like to store it with a thin layer of olive oil on top. Hummus can also be frozen and will last 6 to 8 months in the freezer.
Black Beans Hummus !!
- 1.5 cups. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp water (more if needed)
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil optional
- Measure out all your ingredients. The process always seems to go by faster when I do this.
- Blend the ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy slowly adding enough of the reserved liquid until creamy.
- Serve the black bean hummus. Enjoy with warm mini pita bread (cut into triangles), pita chips, mini baguette slices
- Store the hummus. You can also divide the hummus into mini storage containers.