fThere are those occasions where you don’t want to bring just any dessert, you want to bring a showstopping dessert. If the Fourth of July is one of those occasions, this is the dessert for you. Don’t be intimidated by the layers of tender red, white and blue cake though, the directions for preparing this cake are straightforward and the results are stunning. A dessert this impressive begs for a repeat, so make this flag cake once and you’ll have no problem whipping one up this Fourth of July and many Fourth of July’s to come.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
American Flag CakeUnfurl the red, white, and blue with this beautiful, easy, and patriotic flag cake perfect for the 4th of July, Memorial Day, or any favorite occasion. Assemble and frost the pretty cake and wait for the oohs and ahhs!
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
- ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pkg. (11 oz.) prepared pound cake, cut into 10 slices
- 1-1/3 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
- Slice 1 cup strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mixes in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, cover bottom of 13x9-inch dish with cake slices.
- Add sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Spread COOL WHIP over dessert. Top with fruit to resemble the US flag, using strawberries for the stripes and remaining blueberries for the stars.
- Variation: Prepare using a fat-free pound cake and COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping.
- Substitute; Prepare using JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin.
- Wave Your Flag "Cheesecake" Prepare recipe as directed, mixing the COOL WHIP with 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) softened PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese and 1/4 cup sugar before spreading over dessert.
- Substitute ;repare using 1 pkg. (6 oz.) JELL-O Gelatin.