This Mississippi Mud Pie is wonderfully rich, crazy creamy, and outrageously delicious with 4 EASY layers of decadence! This heavenly Mud Pie recipe start with an Oreo cookie crust followed by a fudgey chocolate sauce, chocolate pudding, chocolate whipped cream and finally fluffy whipped cream! garnish it all with crushed.and raspberries or strawberries and you can add nuts too if you like.in this recipe we will try to do-it with two method :
WHAT IS MUD PIE?
Mud Pie can be a lot of things! In the simplest definition, it is a chocolate-based pie with a crumbly cookie crust.As you might glean from the name, this pie was created in Mississippi and I love that it is just about my age – the first printed recipe circulated in 1975. Classic, now traditional recipes don’t have to be handed down from the old country to be worth it!
CAN I MAKE MY MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE AHEAD of time?
Yup! Wrap your Mud Pie tightly and it keeps great in the fridge for several days – that is if you can keep yourself and everyone out of it!
CAN I FREEZE MUD PIE?
Yes you can freeze Mud Pie, but with some caution. You can freeze the crust no problem. If its cooked it will freeze for up to 4 months, a non cooked crust will only last 2 months.
As for the Mud Pie you, can freeze it, but I would not freeze it with the cool whip topping as it can become soft and runny once defrosted. The texture of the overall pie is also not quite as creamy. once defrosted but the flavor remains the same.
Tasty Mississippi Mud-Pie
Method 1 Ingredients :
- 24 Oreos with filling finely crushed (I use my food processor) or 10 graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz. BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 (3.9 oz) Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip Whipped Topping thawed, divided
Method 2 Ingredients :
For the Crust :
- 10 oz.chocolate Teddy Grahams, 15 graham crackers, or 40 Oreo cookies, filling removed
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar, optional, omit if you prefer a less sweet crust
For the Brownie :
- 1 1/4 c. Nutella
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 oz.chocolate hazelnut bar, chopped, optional
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
For the Chocolate Pudding :
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 c half & half
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz bittersweet or milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp.pure vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream :
- 1 pt. (16 oz.) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar, optional
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, optional
- optional garnishes: cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, nuts, cookie crumbs
Instructions For First Method :
- 1-Crust : Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine Oreo crumbs and butter in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Pour mixture into a 9” pie plate and firmly press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides to form an even layer.Layer 1 : Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees F then COOL COMPLETELY before proceeding to the next step. You can bake your pie crust up to a day in advance then cover with foil once cooled.Add chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and vegetable oil to a medium bowl and microwave at 50% power at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between intervals. Stir until smooth then pour IMMEDIATELY into cooled pie crust. Smooth along the bottom of crust. Set aside.Layer 2 : Beat pudding mixes and milk with a handheld whisk for 2 minutes (it will be thick). Spoon 1-½ cups over chocolate layer and smooth.Layer 3 : To the remaining pudding, stir in HALF of the Cool Whip. Spread over pudding layer in crust.Layer 4 : Top with remaining Cool Whip and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, best if overnight.Pudding variations: Substitute chocolate pudding for coconut, banana or butterscotch puddings with the chocolate, or use both! Garnish with roasted coconut shavings or sliced bananas.Ice cream: Nix the pudding and add in any flavor of ice cream in its place. Have it thawed a bit, not runny but not frozen solid so it is more malleable.Fun Serving options: If you do not bake the crust, it’s always fun to layer this beautiful pie in a trifle dish. Alternatively, for a shower, birthday or event serving individual dishes in mason jars. Just make the crust crumble and press into the bottom of the serving dish or trifle pan. Then layer in the amazing other goodness!Nuts: Add nuts into the pudding or as a garnish. If you like pistachios, chocolate and pistachio are a winning combination. Crushed peanuts and pecans, macadamia nuts, hazlenuts are also delicious.Fruit: As I mentioned earlier, I love the raspberries on my mud pie but you can also add strawberries or cherries as well or even bananas and coconut.
Instructions For First Method :
- Make the Crust: Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 325°. Line the bottom of a 9” springform pan with parchment paper.
- Add cookies (or graham crackers) to a food processor, and pulse until crumbs form. (If you don’t have a food processor you can use a rolling pin to crush them in a ziplock bag.)
- Add cookie crumbs to a bowl and stir in melted butter and (optional) sugar. Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and about 1" up the sides of the pie plate/springform pan. (Don’t press too hard.)
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and allow the crust to cool.
- Make the Brownie: Preheat the oven to 350°. Add the Nutella to a small microwavable bowl, and microwave it in 30-second intervals, until the consistency is sauce-like. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the Nutella to a large bowl, and whisk in 1 egg at a time. Add the flour and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the optional chocolate bar pieces, then add the brownie mixture to the prepared pie crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Make the Pudding: In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the half-and-half and egg yolks, and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and pudding-like, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, chopped chocolate, and vanilla extract. Let cool.
- Assemble the Pie/Whip the Cream: Spread all of the pudding into an even layer on top of the brownie. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding, and refrigerate until cold. Chill for 4 to 6 hours, or up to overnight.
- Before serving, whip the heavy cream with (optional) powdered sugar and vanilla, until some soft peaks form.
- Remove plastic wrap and spread whipped cream in an even layer on top. Dust with optional cocoa powder, chocolate shavings and/or nuts and cookie crumbs.
- When ready to serve, remove the pie from the springform pan.
Tips for the Best Mississippi Mud Pie :
- You can place the crust in the freezer for it to cool more quickly, otherwise, it may take about an hour to cool completely at room temperature.
- You must have the crust completely cooled or it rubberizes the pudding placed right on top of the crust.
You can bake your pie crust up to a day in advance then cover with foil once cooled.
- Don’t microwave the chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and vegetable oil at full power or it can scorch. You also need to stir in between 30 second intervals so it melts evenly and prevents any chocolate at the bottom from scorching.
- The fudgy chocolate sauce will be thick and will become increasingly hard to work with, so as soon as its melted and you give it a good stir, pour it into the crust.
- But above all, I highly recommend you make this Almost No Bake Mud Pie Recipe SOON!