A charlotte is a type of dessert or trifle that can be served hot or cold. It is also referred to as an « icebox cake« . Bread, sponge cake or biscuits/cookies are used to line a mold, which is then filled with a fruit puree or custard. It can also be made using layers of breadcrumbs.
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE :
- 250 g mascarpone
- enough boudoirs for you (spoon cookies) see recipe for boudoirs (spoon bisuits) if you don’t have one
- 3 eggs
- 70 g sugar (to vary according to taste)
- 900 g of fruit in syrup (peaches, apricots,apple,pears,Myrtille,strawbery …lichis or even fruit salad)
INGREDIENT FOR PRPARING SPOON COOKIES (BOUDOIRS) :
- 4 eggs
- 100g Sifted flour
- 50g Icing sugar
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
PREPARATION STEPS FOR SPOON COCKIES :
- Preheat the oven th. 6 (180 ° C). In a bowl, whip the yolks with the powdered sugar until the mixture whitens.
- Whisk the egg whites with the pinch of salt, add 20 g icing sugar and continue beating the egg whites for a few moments until the sugar is incorporated.
- Add a little white egg whites to the yolks and mix with a whisk to relax the preparation. Add the rest of the egg whites and the flour until the mixture becomes homogeneous and frothy. Pour into a piping bag.
- Place strands of dough, about 10 cm long, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle them twice with the rest of the icing sugar (30 g) and put in the oven for 20 minutes, without opening the oven during cooking.
- Let the cookies cool before removing them from the parchment paper using a fine spatula. Taste immediately.
PREPARATION STEPS FOR CHARLOTTE CAKE WITH FRUITS AND MASCARPONE :
- Cut the fruit into large slices, reserving the syrup in a bowl or a soup plate.
- In a dish, mix the egg yolks and sugar, add the mascarpone and mix until you get a smooth cream.
- Beat the eggs in stiff snow (a pinch of salt makes the operation easier) and gently incorporate them into the above preparation.
- Dip the boudoirs 2 by 2 or 3 by 3 in the syrup for a few seconds, until they are soaked but not softened, then line the edges of the charlotte mold.
- Line the bottom of the dish with cut fruit, which you cover with the mascarpone preparation (2 to 3 cm), then with a layer of soaked boudoirs. Alternate the layers to the top of the dish.
- Place a plate on it, possibly with a weight on it.
- Leave in the fridge or freezer for 12 hours or more.
- To unmold more easily, you can pass the dish for a few seconds under hot water.
SPECIAL NOTE : You can use thick cottage cheese instead of mascarpone, but it’s not so good. It is better to use boudoirs than spoon cookies, which are larger and therefore less easy to imbibe, and sweeter