Candied Yams or named also a Confit sweet potatoes. This Thanksgiving side dish recipe is always a hit! Sweet potatoes in butter, sweet, caramelized. This dish only requires a few ingredients but makes a big impact!
These candied sweet potatoes are tender, sweet and buttery. Plus, there is a wonderful caramelized crust that forms on top of the sweet potatoes during the last baking. The brown sugar butter sauce is definitely the highlight of this recipe.
WHAT IS A CANDIED YAM?
A candied yam is a southern classic dish that is actually made using sweet potato. The sweet potato is cut into pieces and covered with butter and two different types of sugar. Once heated the mixture combines to create a sweet and buttery syrup which carmelizes the sweet potato pieces to make candied yams.
How to make candied yams :
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: wash and dry the sweet potatoes before peeling them. Cut the sweet potatoes into slices about 1/2-inch thick. This is to ensure that the potatoes will retain their shape during cooking. We don’t want our sweet potatoes to turn into mush.
- Make the brown sugar butter sauce: in a small saucepan, add the butter and heat over low heat until the butter is melted. Add the other ingredients and mix. Make sure you are using real maple syrup, not regular pancake syrup.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes: Pour the sauce over all the sweet potatoes and toss them gently to make sure they are well coated.
- Cover and Bake: Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 ℉ for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes: This is where we’ll get that crispy caramelized crust on top of the potatoes.
Get Ahead :
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes the day before. Cover and store the sliced sweet potatoes in the refrigerator overnight.
- The brown sugar butter sauce can also be made the night before and stored in an airtight container.
- Do not mix the potatoes with the sauce until the day you need to cook and serve the dish.
- When you’re ready to cook, simply heat the brown sugar butter sauce in a pot on the stovetop, pour over the sweet potatoes, and cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, covered. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10.
- I don’t recommend freezing a finished candied sweet potato recipe. After freezing and reheating, the potatoes will have no texture and will be mushy.
Easy Candied Yams !!
- 4-5 sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract
- teaspoon of black honey optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Add to a baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, add the butter. Heat over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove from fire.
- Stir in the brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Add the spices, salt and vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
- Carefully pour the brown sugar butter sauce over the sliced sweet potatoes. Gently stir the sweet potatoes to coat them with the butter mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve hot. and padcook team wish you a good taste
- Get Ahead: Peel and cut the sweet potatoes the night before. Cover and store the sliced sweet potatoes in the refrigerator overnight. The brown sugar butter sauce can also be made the night before and stored in an airtight container. Do not mix the potatoes with the sauce until the day you need to cook and serve the dish.