I took as a basis the excellent Breton shortbread recipe by Philippe Conticini as well as its delicious vanilla pastry cream … To give this tart a little pep, I spread a thin layer of strawberry jam on the cream pastry before placing the strawberries and lime zest on top. I made this recipe twice, one in a mini version and one for family … There is not a crumb left!
How to Make Easy Tasty strawberry shortcakeThe name “shortcake” is derived from an old English cooking definition of short which referred to something made crisp with the addition of fat. Shortcake is a crisp, crumbly cake made from butter which is how it got its name
For the Breton Shortbread :
- 125 g flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 175 g semi-salted butter at room temperature
- 90 g icing sugar
- 80 g ground almonds
- 1 pinch of fleur de sel
Ingredients For the pastry cream:
- 1/4 liter of milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 20 g sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 22.5 g of flour
For the decor :
- 5 tablespoons of strawberry jam
- 250 g strawberries
- 1 whole lime
how to Prepare the pastry cream:
- Put the milk and the scraped vanilla pod in a saucepan, bring to the boil. Leave to infuse for 15 min. Blanch the yolks with the sugar then incorporate the flour. Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and pour half of it into the yolks and sugar mixture, mix well. Pour everything into the saucepan containing the rest of the milk and thicken over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour the cream into a gratin dish, film on contact and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Prepare the Breton shortbread:
- Put the butter, icing sugar and almond powder in the bowl of the food processor and beat at medium speed until well blended. Add the yolks then the flour and fleur de sel. Whisk one last time at high speed for a few seconds. You should obtain a nice homogeneous paste. Transfer the dough to a pastry bag. Place a pastry ring on a baking sheet and garnish with the dough. Place a plate on it. Bake for about 35-40 minutes until the shortbread is nicely golden. Let cool.
To Finish Assembly :
- Put the pastry cream in a piping bag (grooved) and garnish the base with Breton shortbread. Place strawberry jam in the middle and spread lightly without pressing too much. Arrange the hulled and sliced strawberries harmoniously on the pie. Lime zest on top. It's ready !