this recipe comes from Florida, and more precisely from a large archipelago called « The Keys » where a very specific variety of limes grows. Previously, these famous limes were an essential element in the lives of sailors, who consumed large quantities to fight scurvy, a major deficiency in vitamin C.
The Key Lime Pie is a delicious recipe, easy and almost unbeatable. The most complicated part of this recipe is the meringue. If you leave the pie a minute too long in the oven, the meringue will start to brown, and even if it will still be as good, the result will not be as pretty. If you want a guaranteed successful recipe, you can simply replace the meringue with whipped cream.
Ingredients for the lime cream :
- 3 egg yolks
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 can (400 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 150 ml lime juice
Ingredients for the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 25 g sugar (or less depending on your taste)
- 2 ml white vinegar
Ingredients for the Key Lime Pie base:
- 250g Graham Crackers cookies
- 45 g melted butter
- preheats the oven to 180 ° C.
- prepare the dough by crushing the cookies (as for a base or a base of Cheesecake pie) then mix the crumbs obtained with the melted butter.
- bake the cookie / butter mixture at the bottom of a soft pan (or even better, a springform pan) using a spatula or your hands, and place the dough in the oven for 8 minutes so that she pre-cooks.
- during this time, you can prepare the lime cream which will serve as a device. Beat the egg yolks, milk, lime juice and zest until the mixture becomes frothy.
- remove the tart shell from the oven, pour the lime cream into the pan and bake again for 8-10 minutes, until the cream takes a solid appearance.
- continuing to monitor the oven regularly, prepare the meringue. Beat the egg whites, vanilla, sugar and white vinegar (or cream of tartar if you got it) in a glass bowl at medium or slow speed. You must obtain a pearly white mixture, shiny and which forms points when you withdraw the whips.
- cover the pie with meringue using a silicone spatula (or a large spoon). Start by delicately placing the meringue on the outer edges of the pie to form a circle, then repeating the operation towards its center until the lime cream is completely covered.
- return to oven until meringue becomes slightly firm, but before it is too golden.
- place the mold in the fridge and let cool at least 2 hours before unmolding and serving the pie.