family’s very favorite Banana Bread Recipe is EASY, moist, and simply perfection! Look no further for a fool-proof banana bread recipe that turns out perfect every time.
It’s one of those “staple” recipes in my collection that I’ve made a thousand times. I love how simple the ingredients are and how easy it is to make. If you’re looking for a healthier banana bread recipe
WHAT IS BANANA BREAD?
Banana bread is a moist, cake-like bread that is a made using ripe, mashed bananas. It’s a “quick bread” which means the leavening agents in the batter are baking soda and baking powder, and not yeast, like regular bread recipes, so it’s ready to bake right away.
- Butter: Use softened butter for a soft texture and irresistible butter flavor.
- Brown Sugar: Use all brown sugar in this recipe.
- that brown sugar is the culprit behind soft and moist cookies. Well, brown sugar works that same magic in banana bread, too. There is no regular granulated sugar in this banana bread recipe; the sweetness comes from brown sugar and bananas. (And cream cheese frosting if you wish to add it!)
- Eggs: Eggs supply cakes, cupcakes, breads, doughs, and cookies their stability and structure, as well as a tender texture. You’ll need 2 large eggs in this banana bread recipe.
- Yogurt: Yogurt adds even more moisture to this banana bread. I like to use yogurt as much as possible when I’m baking. Sour cream is a wonderful substitution for plain yogurt. You can use the two interchangeably in most baking recipes.
- For banana nut bread, add 3/4 cup of chopped nuts to the banana bread batter; I like using either pecans or walnuts. I absolutely adore their sweet, toasty, and slight crunch nestled inside the soft banana bread crumbs. Feel free to leave them out completely if you’re not a fan of banana nut bread!
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD:
- In a small bowl mash three ripe bananas with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until it gets a light and fluffy texture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Next, mix in the mashed bananas and milk.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: four, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed sugar mixture and stir until the batter is just combined, but don’t over-mix it.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch (or similar size) bread loaf pan and cook at 325 degrees for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no flour pockets remain. Do not overmix. Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together. See post above for freezing instructions.
- Butter: If needed, you can use salted butter in this recipe instead. Keep all the other ingredients the same.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: This banana bread also tastes fantastic with cream cheese frosting on top! To make it, beat 4 ounces (112g) of softened cream cheese and 1/4 cup (60g) of softened unsalted butter together on medium speed until smooth. Beat in 1 cup (120g) of confectioners sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until combined. Spread on cooled loaf.
- Banana Bread Muffins: Use this banana bread recipe to make 2 dozen banana bread muffins. Pour the batter into a lined or greased muffin pan and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C) then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total bake time for the banana bread muffins is about 22-23 minutes.
TIPS FOR MOIST AND PERFECT BANANA BREAD:
Room temperature ingredients. Room temperature eggs and butter emulsify into the batter better than if they are cold.
Don’t over-mix. For extra moist and soft banana bread, don’t over-mix the batter, especially when you add the flour mixture in the last step.
Over-browning. If the bread is browning too much in the oven before the time is up, place a piece of tinfoil over it.