I have often seen and photographed them on market stalls in London, but I had not yet attempted to make them these Scotch eggs, Scottish eggs, soft-boiled or sometimes hard-boiled eggs, in sausage meat, breaded and fried ! It’s not very complicated to do.A fantastic party food for any occasion, these scotch eggs are quick and easy to make. And a big favourite with the whole family.
SCOTCH EGGS – ORIGIN AND HOW TO BAKE THEM
You might be tempted to think that these beauties are Scottish, but actually their originate in London, the famous shop Fortnum and Mason claiming to have invented the scotch eggs in the 18th century. The term scotch refers to the process of scotching the eggs, or mincing the meat to go around the egg.
I visited that shop quite a few times when I used to live in London, and I loved it! It might be expensive, but their products really are amazing. Shame I didn’t try their scotch eggs though!
there are just a few steps to follow, the recipe is fail proof really:
Baked Scotch Eggs
- 4 eggs + 1 4 eggs you will use them as a base
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g of flour
- 300 to 400 g of sausage meat
- 1/2 teaspoon Persil
- 1 tsp. old-fashioned mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of thyme leaves choped
- 1 onion, choped and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- Frying oil
- Start by cooking the eggs in boiling water for 3 minutes, then immerse them in cold water, and gently remove the shell. and keep the fifth fresh for later use
- Mix the sausage meat with the parsley, mustard, Espelette pepper, and powdered garlic peper ground, salt, thyme, onion,olive oil.
- Divide the sausage meat into 4, and flatten each piece between two sheets of cling film.
- Place an egg in the center, and surround it with sausage meat.
- Dip each Scottish egg in flour, then in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs, and again beaten egg then breadcrumbs
- Heat the deep fryer or a high-sided saucepan with sunflower oil to 180 ° C and cook the eggs 6 to 7 minutes, turning well. Beware of possible projections ...
- At the end of cooking, drain these scotch eggs, then place them on a plate covered with absorbent paper to drain them well.